Wednesday 1 June 2011

Of Some Importance



We all hear when we are young that growing up comes with responsibilities- that it does and for the first time in my life I actually understand what my parents kept going on about.

Today is a sad and rather exciting day for me. Today is the day that I stop being a fashion intern at Styling Concepts. I just had a massive “aaaaah” moment and am somewhat sad that it’s over. The awkward moment when you send off the wrong clothes to a magazine or ask a stylist if Phat Joe, is actually fat? Considering I had to dress the man. I know, so incredibly genius of me. That moment will never leave me, but the “tough” times of an intern is!

Being an intern is hard work, but pay’s off. I have now been offered a job with the firm I am at, so I am no longer an intern trying to make my mark in the fashion industry but rather an employed young lady, ready to take on the world- with plenty responsibilities to follow. (yay for me)

I came into this office not really sure where I was heading, I knew that I wanted to be in this industry more than anything but didn’t really know what I was capable of. Walking into the office on the 1st February I was set on be a designer, I had studied this at LISOF and did well at it. Then, after working as an intern at this firm I realized that there were no limitations in this industry and being a jack-of-all-trades was ideal. My heart slowly moved away from designing and found a warm cozy spot with buying and merchandising. I still enjoy making things on the side and in an ideal world, I will make plenty “moola” and start a label later in life, I am young, innocent- well kind of and willing to learn. It’s a definite goal for the near future.

Right now, I am just so excited and thrilled to be employed, and for doing something I love. This is day one, and at 21 I’m not complaining. I have always been a planner, knowing exactly where I was going and what I wanted, but I have learnt this year that there is just so much planning one can do, we face curve balls everyday, so rather live each day of your life, don’t plan ahead too much, as when you focus on the future too much, you forget about the present, and I’m really enjoying the present at this point.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment