A few weeks ago, someone said comment that made me think about the things we wear every day and why we wear them.
She was asking for advice on what to do when people ask …“why are YOU so dressed up?” As if wearing something appealing that makes you feel good is a “bizarre” thing to do!
That comment got me thinking about dressing up and what that means.
Since when did it become an abnormal thing to put effort into what you wear and have fun with fashion? Since when is anyone not wearing sweatpants and a hoodie breaking unwritten social rules? Why should “dressing up” be reserved for special occasions only?
I was instantly motivated to create this list. I firmly believe in “dressing up” every day of your life, and I think you should too! #justsaying
Here are the 25 reasons why!
1. Because life’s too short to blend in. Don’t settle for common- that’s just sad.
2. Because you’re only young once. You’re way more stunning than you know & have a magnificent body you’ll one day look back on and wish you had! Take advantage now and show off how fabulous you can be.
3. Because fashion is a method of self-expression. What are you trying to say?
4. Because you never know who you’ll run into Ryan Botha at the grocery store? Hey, stranger things have happened. #justsaying
5. Because it clearly annoys some people (like the guy who asks why YOU are so dressed up). The fact that it annoys them so much is all the more reason to keep doing it. Har har har
6. Because you never know, there’s always a chance you could get snapped by Elle Street Style…
7. Because you deserve to look your best at all times.
8. Because you’ll never advance your sense of style if your default look is “I give up”.
9. Because dressing up helps you weed out friends who don’t love you for you. If they have a problem with the way you dress, they’re not the kind of friends you want around. Okay that is probably a lie, I’m trying now.
10. Because pretty clothes and accessories are a great conversation starter. Wear something fabulous and people will ask you where you got it.
11. Because parties aren’t the only time to make merry.
12. Because that fabulous party dress in your closet cost too much to only be worn once.
13. Because it’s amusing!
14. Because even if you live in an “unstylish” city & are scared to dress up, cities don’t become trendy without someone going first. I know it sounds cheesy, but be the change you want to see in the world. Everyone else can follow your great lead.
15. Because dressing up helps you make fashion mistakes and get past them. Mistakes happen to everyone and that’s how you learn what not to do – get them out of the way now!
16. Because it’s a test of your self-confidence. Dressing alternatively forces you to develop the self-assurance necessary to stand out from everyone else.
17. Because fashion is one of the rare instances where art comes alive. What creative statement do you want to make?
18. Because if you’ve got it (great style, killer poise, amazing legs), it’s just wrong not to display it.
19. Because someday when you have a 9-5 corporate job and are required to wear business suits, you’re going to miss the freedom of dress you had in the early years.
20. Because glamour isn’t only reserved for the affluent and famed, even though maybe they’d like you to believe it is.
21. Because if conspiracy theorists are to be believed, the world might end on 12/31/2012 – that’s only 1211 days from now! Even though we all worried about Y2K too, why not be on the safe side? Don’t spend the hypothetical 1000+ days you have left in sweats.
22. Because Carrie Bradshaw would not approve of your sweatpants and UGG boots. (Seen far too many UGG boots in public this winter- Shock horror) You can do better than that. And deep down, you know I’m right.
23. Because dressing well means you don’t have to do your hair at all – you’ll have that ultra fabulous, slightly dishevelled Kate Moss look.
24. Because nothing beats the rush you experience when you look in the mirror and LOVE what you see.
25. Finally, because you want to. That’s the only reason that matters.
Images taken from shopnastygal.com- Obsessed with their clothes.