Thursday 19 January 2012

Daughter

Elena Tonra (above), the enchanting voice behind emerging London-based experimental folk duo Daughter.
I have listened to her everyday for multiple times over the last month and a half and the sad fact that I am only just sharing her with you all now will say horrible things about me because music this good should definitely always be shared.
She is an astounding, if not complex songwriter who speaks about love and hope and finding and losing both and that much more in the most real, honest and beautiful way and while the musical backdrop upon which she turns her poetry (Yes Poetry) into song are some of the most simple you will hear, her stories remain ever so compelling... Her words are effortless and simple yet they are so profound and it lies in the way and in the cadence that she conveys them. I could go on and on about her exquisite song writing because I feel it cannot be overstated (her songs are that good, trust me) but something has to be said about Elena Tonra's voice- ethereal, peaceful, powerful, haunting, true, passionate, intense, lingering and all in all IRRESISTIBLE - much like her music in all honesty.
This is one of my favourite songs by her- "Youth" (click)
Shadows settle on the place, that you left.
Our minds are troubled by the emptiness.
Destroy the middle, it's a waste of time.
From the perfect start to the finish line.

And if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones.
'Cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs.
Setting fire to our insides for fun
Collecting names of the lovers that went wrong
The lovers that went wrong.

We are the reckless,
We are the wild youth
Chasing visions of our futures
One day we'll reveal the truth
That one will die before he gets there.

And if you're still bleeding, you're the lucky ones.
'Cause most of our feelings, they are dead and they are gone.
We're setting fire to our insides for fun.
Collecting pictures from the flood that wrecked our home,
It was a flood that wrecked this...

... and you caused it...
... and you caused it...
... and you caused it...

Well I've lost it all, I'm just a silouhette,
A lifeless face that you'll soon forget,
My eyes ae damp from the words you left,
Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest.
Ringing in my head, when you broke my chest.

And if you're in love, then you are the lucky one,
'Cause most of us are bitter over someone.
Setting fire to our insides for fun,
To distract our hearts from ever missing them.
But I'm forever missing him.

And you caused it,
And you caused it,
And you caused it



I still get goosebumps... It's strangely bright sorrow holds a dark reverence for unrequited love- Beautiful still. Take a listen.

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment