Thursday 24 May 2012

Trip to Amsterdam



I just got back from an incredible trip to Amsterdam with my boyfriend. There are so many things about this city that intrigued me but the architecture is just mind-blowing. I didn’t really care too much about the tourist-packed coffee shops, and to be honest, the sight of the prostitutes, some of whom looked disturbingly, only kept me amused for a few minutes. But I couldn’t take my eyes, or my camera, off the architecture, the row after row of elegant, elongated, perfectly preserved buildings, each a different height and a slightly different shade out of a harmonious colour palate of warm, earthy pastels.




When I arrived to the apartment, I notice how all the windows were large and beautifully proportioned, which flood the living space with light.

For a city whose main advertising power seems to lie with legalised drugs and half naked women behind windows, I never thought it would be so rewarding to simply nose around its streets.





When roaming the streets, I began to fall in love with the canals. There is something very soothing about being constantly surrounded by water, and about the sunlight reflected by it during the day and the street lights by night.















Justin and I did incredibly well on the shopping side of things. The awesome thing about Amsterdam is that they have the expensive pretentious international brands but ‘normal’ shops are plentiful, creative in their collections and terribly affordable. Also, everyone speaks fantastic English, so there is never an awkward moment due to the lack of communication when entering shopper’s heaven.





 Foooood, glorious food. We went to the Albert Cuyp market one day, which consists of fatty fabulous food, cheap clothing and random bits and pieces.





First fresh STROOPWAFEL!! Death!





Amsterdam is a beautiful city and everyone there is friendly and accommodating.  In the few days I stayed there, I came across numerous acts of civility and kindness, a feature I have long given up on experiencing.


Justin enjoying a beer...


Me, trying a beer...

Hating every moment :/

 Chilling on the patio at the apartment







I completely fell in love with Amsterdam




xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment